Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Emma Claire ROCKS the 80s!

That's right, baby... it's spirit week! Do they do that in other regions of the US? Spirit week?

Well, for those that have NO clue what I'm talking about, spirit week is the week leading up to the Homecoming game. Each day, the students dress up according to the theme to show their support or school spirit.

Anyway, yesterday was crazy hair day/injury day. And, yeah... don't ask about injury day... I have NO idea. We just ignored that part of it. :-) I did, however, spend about 30 minutes yesterday morning fixing HALF of Emma's hair into many, many little ponytails. After the right side of her head was completed, I made the mistake of asking her if she wanted to look at it in the mirror. Ummm... no. In fact, not only did she NOT want to look in the mirror, she also decided that she didn't want to wear crazy hair at all. Seriously? Can you see the steam coming out of my ears at this point? I mean, THIRTY minutes spent on HALF your head only to be told, "no, take it out." Sheesh. So, I took it out. She went with completely normal hair yesterday. This is why there are no pictures to share.

But, today... today she participated in a BIG way. It was 80's day! (Which, Curt pointed out that the SENIORS... the OLDEST kids in the school... were born in '89, maybe even '90! What the heck!?! You've GOT to be kidding me. Time absolutely FLIES, doesn't it!?!) Anyway, so, with the help of the super-star-rock-star-four-year-old of all time, Josie!!!, Emma ROCKED out 80's day. Haha! As soon as I saw 80's day on the list, I knew where to turn for the goods. I called up Alison & asked if Emma could borrow something from the Jo. Alison & Josie provided quite the wardrobe to choose from, including a BUBBLE skirt with attached footless leggings with lace around the ankles! <----- THAT'S our winner! She also had a super stylish, elasticized, silver sequin belt in the choices. We had to use that bad boy, too. So, yeah, I took an old sweatshirt & cut the neck wide, the sleeves short & the bottom off to give it sort of a Flashdance look. (Although, looking back, her sleeves were long... Flashdance girl, that is.) We added some beads of Josie's, a pair of high top converse folded over, and a teased side pony... RADICAL! (Yes, I did JUST type that. Yes, I know I should be embarrassed for being such a dork. Bwahahahaa!) Here's the finished product:

Check out the next shot. 'Cause this is Thriller, Thriller night... Bwahahaha!!! That's my girl! And this one. Man, This one I just threw in because this is honestly the first time I've looked at a photograph of her (other than when she was a little baby) and thought, DANG, that girl looks like me! People say it all the time, but I guess I just don't see it. At least, I don't think it's super obvious. But, in this picture, there is something about her smile... and her eyes. I'm telling you, that is ME. There's a particular picture that I have in mind from when I was about this age. I searched & searched for a copy of it to post along with this photo, but I don't seem to have a copy of it. Mom... do you know which one I'm talking about? It's a school type picture, and I'm wearing a white sweatshirt with red dots or cherries on it. I SO wish I had a copy of that picture right now. So, yeah... if anyone reading this has a copy scanned (unlikely with this technically impaired family - love you guys!) please email it to me. :-)

That's 80's day! Tomorrow is nerd day. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about nerd day. I personally feel like it opens kids up to making fun of other kids and stuff. So, I'd still like Emma to participate, but we're going to put our own spin on things. We're going with a bookworm rather than a nerd. And, we're gonna PROVE that "nerds" can be cute. ;-) Watch for it.

Take care!

8 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Omgosh..love it..so flippin' cute. she had the perfect outfit didn't she.. I totally laughed out loud at the side pony..I wore my hair like that in high school..mid-80's almost everyday..and yeah..I had the converse also. Can't wait to see the litle book worm.

October 9, 2007 at 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! Can't wait for tomorrow's picture.
I can see Emma not wanting to go with the crazy hair since this is her first year and she had to make sure other people were doing this too :-)
I can kind of see the picture you're talking about, but I don't have any old pictures here with me. Rob's your best prospect for that right now.

October 9, 2007 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Ariana Sullivan said...

Oh I LOVE those!! I love 80s day and she looks so adorable; 80s style looks better on her than it ever did in the 80s :D

That's so sad that she didn't want to do crazy hair day after you did all that work. I seriously can imagine the feeling the moment she says she wants them out...grrr. But what can you do but take them out, huh? crazy

I can't wait for nerd day tomorrow!! It's so crazy how your infrequent posts (of late) are enough to keep me checking every day :P

Maybe I should do a homeschool version spirit week with my daughter's friends...(just thinking/typing out loud here, heh)

October 10, 2007 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love it, too cute! She is totally rockin the 80's! Yeah my daughters school does this too.

October 10, 2007 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Tracey Kendall said...

I am loving it and that she lets you do this. Loved the 80's and she sure did have the look. Love the whole outfit...so cute.
I am so excited to see all oif your post but can't wait to see what nerd day is like...lol
Again thanks so much for always sharing with us.
Tracey :)

October 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Dogeared said...

That Thriller photo is so cool - you should frame it and put it on the wall!

October 10, 2007 at 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW she looks like totally rad to the max! LOL That outfit turned out great! I'm glad Josie's crazy taste in clothing came in handy! =)
I love the Thriller one!

I am also totally looking forward to the bookworm photos.

If my mom does have the picture of you that you are talking about, I can have Noriel scan it and get it to you.

October 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

OMG- LOVE it!!!!

October 16, 2007 at 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home