Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Great inspiration...

So, you know how I was saying that I've been feeling uninspired lately? Well, I take that as a sign that it's a good time to learn something new, try something different. That's usually how my photography finds it's way to the next level. Step it up a notch, you know? :-)

Well, I've ALWAYS loved the look of sunflare & backlighting. The backlighting I can do, but I just don't have consistent success with sunflare. I'll get a little teensy bit here or there every once in a while, but nothing fantastic. It's about time I get on that, don't you think?

When I'm wanting to learn something new, I like to look to other fantastic photographers for inspiration. Study their work, figure out what it is about it that captures me, you know? So, naturally, for sunflare & backlighting, I'm turning to Detra's work! This woman is the QUEEN of flare! And, on top of that, she's SO good at capturing kiddos doing the things they do in the big ol' middle of a sunset! LOVE it! That's the sort of thing that appeals to me. Check out one of the main images on her website! (You may have to refresh a couple times to get the one of the blonde girl with the sun glowing behind her to come up.) Look at how rich it is... I just love it! (Also, check out her maternity gallery for some INCREDIBLE sun flare. Well, really you should just check out ALL the galleries!)

But, anyway, so, out I went yesterday evening, umbrella in tow (yes...I'm THAT shameless!) I managed to get a couple shots with some flare. There's definitely NO consistency! Haha! I need to keep practicing, but I'm happy with what I got! I'm gonna go ahead and tell myself that maybe the reason I didn't have more success is because it was beginning to get pretty overcast out there...lots of dark clouds rolling in. I can't complain, though, because I think the clouds made for crazy pictures, too! As frustrated as I was at the time with my lack of sunflare, I really am pleased with these shots. They're different for me, and that's what I needed!

So, without rambling on EVEN more, here are my shots:

Maya was NOT being cooperative, so here's one of the only shots I got of her.
This is probably my best flare of the evening.

A tiny, tiny bit more flare here. And, I think this one might be my favorite shot of the evening. :-)

Here's one from when the clouds rolled in. There are more of these that I'll probably share in the next couple days. I post processed this differently...added a duotone layer at the end. Some pictures call for the duotone...I love it when they do! :-)
So, yeah...I'm no Detra. But, maybe with a little practice, I'll actually be able to produce some flare on a more regular basis.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the lighting in these! That sunflare umbrella one is my favorite.

August 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

My favourite is your favourite. Beautiful!

August 29, 2007 at 3:32 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

These are AWESOME!!! You are an inspiration!

August 29, 2007 at 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through fickr I think. I love your photogrpahy. Your style is awesome. This is my new favorite blog! Also wondering where you got that cool bedding in your daughter's room? I'm looking for something for my daughter's new room.You can e-mail at jforbeck@cablerocket.com.

One more thing- I couldn't find a photography site link. Is there one?

August 29, 2007 at 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, all of them. But, I think that your favorite is my favorite too. Simply gorgeous.

August 29, 2007 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I love them all, but #2 and #3 are my favorites. You definitely need to put #2 in a big ol' frame :)
--Dawn

August 29, 2007 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

awesome, amy! my favorite is the last one.

would you mind sharing what the umbrella was for, besides looking adorable? :) Was it so you could focus on the girls without the sunflare preventing you from focusing? That is my problem with sunflare.

August 29, 2007 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Joanne Fowler said...

I love how you rock everything you try! You're my hero! These are so beautiful!

August 29, 2007 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Itworksforbobbi said...

I love these shots - your flare looks fantastic. It's such a beautiful effect. I'm curious if you could explain the duotone layer thingy :) I tried researching it online to try out the technique, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. Can you describe what you did with it?

August 29, 2007 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sweet!!!!!!!!!! You did a great job!!!! So very talented!
Detra

August 29, 2007 at 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these Amy!!

August 29, 2007 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Once again you blow me away with your photography. My favorite happens to be the same as yours but they are all beautiful!!! Very inspiring.

August 29, 2007 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Jen@eighteen25 said...

these are all so beautiful! I'm wondering if you could give us a couple of tips? Whenever I try my pictures come out very muted and hazy... how do you keep the beautiful color?

August 30, 2007 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Amy--I just found your blog through one of your ILP posts. Just wanted you to know that you have a new blog stalker--lol! These are SO beautiful... colorful, crisp & refreshing, just like a diet coke or something! :)

August 31, 2007 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger sherry boles~ said...

These are wonderful for "uncooperative!" I like them all but I think #2 is my favorite! :)

September 2, 2007 at 12:21 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

That last shot rocks so hard.

September 3, 2007 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

You're you, Amy, and we love you for it...can't wait when you nail the flare one day...hey, you think your no Audrey Woulard too but come on! F1.4 on a lazy day?!?!?! heck, I want to be Amy if have a chance!!!! thanks for the inspiration...you made me enjoy my journey for sure!

September 3, 2007 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

maybe not Detra, but still VERY good! LOVE these... as usual!
Toni

September 4, 2007 at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home