Friday, March 23, 2007

What a way to follow up! Haha!

Well, first just let me say thanks so much for all your kind words on my blog. You really know how to make a girl feel good about herself! :-) I appreciate all of your comments & visits.

**Warning: the next paragraph is SUPER boring unless you're interested in post processing! Feel free to skip it! Haha!**

For those that asked about post processing on the photos in my last post...this little paragraph is for you. I've been slowly developing my own workflow lately in PSCS2. These are my steps: defog, use sponge tool to saturate background at about 10-15% opacity, duplicate layer & set mode to soft light & lower opacity to taste. Flatten image. Burn edges. Now, in the second photo, I added a step between the flatten image & burn edges steps. In this one, I created a copy of the same image, changed mode to grayscale, then changed mode to duotone. When the duotone window pulled up, I set the first color to a navy & the second color to a bluish-grey color & click okay. Then, I dragged the duotone image directly on top of my other post processed color image. I then changed the duotone layer mode to hardlight. It's this last step that gave it the really stormy, gray look. Flatten image. I think that's pretty much it...probably a little tweaking here & there.

So, anyway, I did take pictures today. However, I don't really have permission to share the photos. I took a few shots of the board of directors for the place Curt works (for those of you wondering.) Anyway, while I was waiting in the lobby where I was to be taking the photos, I sat down on a little couch. Directly across from me was a glass door. I saw my reflection and thought, "hmmm...self portrait?" :-) So, yeah...that's what we've got here. Though it's definitely no masterpiece or work of art, I kinda like it. Please just ignore the push bar on the door which happens to run directly through my head. Let's pretend it's not there, okay? :-)

My somewhat accidental self portrait:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all the photographer talk is gibberish to me, but the pictures fun! DS

March 24, 2007 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Thanks for sharing the info!! I'm sort of newish to the whole post-processing thing....I'm working on that aspect myself :)

March 24, 2007 at 3:23 AM  
Blogger Lorrie said...

I thought it was a pretty cool picture, especially the way you made it into a storyboard!

March 24, 2007 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger Dar Kaso said...

Cools shots, at first glance I thought they were negatives.

March 24, 2007 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Very cool!

March 24, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Mom2Drew said...

Thanks for your workflow...i know that takes time to type out. It made such an amazing difference in that storm cloud one...I was thinking that you should send that one into a contest somewhere. It's so dramatic and Wizard of Oz-ish to me.

March 24, 2007 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger Rheagan Leatherwood said...

Thanks for the update on pp. I am looking forward to trying it myself.

March 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Very fun shots! I have a "reflective self-portrait"today, too. Not near as nice as yours though... :) Thank you so much for sharing your pp. I have much to learn--I never use the sponge tool or the burn or dodge tool. You have given me the inspiration to try them! THANKS!

March 24, 2007 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

great job on your self-portrait! love your conversions and your post processing notes.

March 24, 2007 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Joanne Fowler said...

Love the storyboard self-portrait! And the pics of the girls. They are awesome! Thanks for the PP infor too. Can't wait to try it out too!

March 24, 2007 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger robin said...

Thanks for all the technical info. I just have to say that your girls are so cute in your previous post!

March 24, 2007 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger cristina said...

amy, these shots are cool. i like how you positioned your legs to give it that girlie feeling. tfs!

BTW - your shots yesterday were amazing. i particularly like the 2nd one better (don't know why). the composition rocks!

March 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

cooool! and thanks for the pp info. :)

March 25, 2007 at 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Amy! I love, love , love your blog – it this my first time to actually “blog”! Crazy I know!You are so incredibly talented! I am a mom of 2 and have in the past 2 years found a new passion for photography. I am currently shooting with the Canon Rebel XT and broke down and purchased an L series 50mm 1.4 and a 70mm 2.8 – I LOVE taking pictures of my kids and friends kiddos! I recently got photoshop CS3 and am trying to figure out how to navigate! It is overwhelming! Do you use actions to edit your shots? I AM SO INTERESTED IN POST PROCESSING! I READ AND REREAD YOUR PARAGRAPH on your post processing steps from March but still am lost...Can you help me know where to begin?? I love the effect of the subject in soft bright light and the edges darkened while keeping the eyes sharp……………Please help!!!



Thank you so much for your words of wisdom in advance!



Blessings!

Renea Conser

Dallas, TX

November 7, 2007 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home