Saturday, July 5, 2008

Good times.

Man, so I get all sentimental on the Fourth. I just can't help it. I don't realize that it's creeping up on me, and I don't expect it. But, by the end of the night, I always find myself full of gratitude.

July 4th is my gramma's birthday. So, every year, the whole family gets together to celebrate her birthday, as well as partake in all the Fourth of July festivities. The thing about my family, though, is that we get together for EVERYone's birthdays. I mean, party after party after party. In September, there's not a free weekend. Seriously. I always enjoy the time we spend together, but there's just something special... something extra about the Fourth. I guess it's because it's the Fourth, eh? Genius, aren't I?!?

Anyway, it's like, we sit around for HOURS upon hours... lazy day. We swim, we eat, we have a Yahtzee good time, you know? With mosquitoes & sparklers & sunscreen & berries... embarrassing the teenagers of the family with the Thriller dance... It's just too much fun. And, then after we've passed enough time & the sun has set, the fireworks get going. We all sit gazing silently at the sky. Together. You know how silence can be so awkwardly blaring most of the time? But, then, when you reach a certain level of comfort with someone, silence can be so... so serene, so peaceful. And, it's in the silence of the Fourth that I suddenly find myself feeling so overwhelmed with gratitude. It's like my family, my big ol' crazy family, embodies a feeling of camaraderie in that moment. Nothing has to be said or done or whatever... I just know they're there. I'm sure it all makes no sense, but I get it. It's the best I can do to verbalize it.

From there, I move on to feeling so thankful that my family is afforded so, SO many freedoms because we live in America. I look around at my family & my daughters & realize that life is good.
My most favorite time of the night is when we're in the car headed home shortly after the fireworks show. I love the traffic. I call it the if-you-build-it-they-will-come traffic. (Ask Curt. I say it EVERY year. And, no, he doesn't get tired of hearing it, either.) I just love knowing that everyone else is out celebrating the same things as me. I love having the drive time to reflect on it, watching the sky all the while knowing that I'll see at least 20 more random fireworks on the way home. Good times.

















These last four are nothing super fabulous. I didn't come prepared... no tripod, no nothing. I just wanted to capture the numbers...



18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted these. You do a great job of expressing yourself, both in words and photos. Love them all.

July 5, 2008 at 6:05 AM  
Blogger Caits said...

Amy these are beautiful!

July 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good pictures. We're so lucky to have you capture these moments with your rockin photography skills; even if you are a dork and tell people we had a Yahtzee of a good time. (lots of dots) ha ha ha. We did, I can't lie.
And I do like the fireworks ones, they turned out very nice.

July 5, 2008 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

WOW - your white balance is PERFECT!! I LOVE the colors in these too!! GREAT compositions and captures!! Always enjoy your blog!!

July 5, 2008 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger js said...

I just love looking at your photos! Glad you had a good 4th! Happy Birthday Grandma.

July 5, 2008 at 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome post. I was a loser and didn't pull out my camera at all. We didn't really do anything but still.

Oh and I just noticed you don't love me anymore!

July 6, 2008 at 2:12 AM  
Blogger Keva said...

fun times for sure! great pictures! and is that red polish on your toes??? wow, you are not the girl I used to know!

and I was wondering if you and MN had a fight or something.

thanks for sharing your world with us!

July 6, 2008 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Awesome color in these photos Amy! All the pictures from the pool are so deeply vivid. And my fave of the fireworks is the last one, even without your tripod it's perfect! --Dawn

July 6, 2008 at 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm coming out of lurkdom! I've been stopping by your blog for so long now I can't even remember how I found it in the first place, but I have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE your photos...you are awesome!

July 7, 2008 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love love love ......
Your works just rocks !
Dee

July 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger amy said...

these are amazing! the best pool pictures i've ever seen!

July 7, 2008 at 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 30th birthday Amy!!! You'll always be my baby :-) Love you!

July 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger L said...

these are great, i can't believe how great your fireworks shots are, without a tripod, awesome.

July 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How is it possible that you find the perfect light ALL THE TIME?!!! You're so good it's almost unbearable!

Impressed as always,

Amy Little

July 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Photography By Marianne said...

Wow Amy you just amaze me! Your clarity is just amazing!! I can't wait to learn more about you from Detra's workshop!

July 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic shots ! i love all of them so refreshing! what tipe of lens did you use?

July 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Amy, I just happened onto you blog and i have spent the last 3 hours going through your archives. I am mezmorized by your pictures. i was aondering if you could tell me how you get such sharp pictures, is it your lenses or camera, I'm sure you have this question asked alot and you probably have a post where you answer all the photography questions you get, could you direct me that way? I have been taking pictures for some time now and i have gotten pretty good and nailing my exposure but sharpness is something i struggle with!! Thanks for any help or advise you can give!!

July 15, 2008 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger mindy said...

yeah for the 4th!! beautiful shots for sure.

July 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home